Disposable diapers will release VOCs (dipentene, ethylbenzene, toluene and xylene) with toxic and carcinogenic effects on health. Disposable diapers can also have an adverse effect on the respiratory system.
Attitude – Biodegradable diapers, fragrance-free
The Ecobaby – Reusable diapers in organic cotton
The Royal Diaperer – Reusable diapers
Do you have any cotton flannel? This material can easily be used to make diapers at home. You will find a tutorial here.
Ingredients to avoid
- Dyes: possible carcinogens, skin sensitizers, photosensitizers and mutagens
- Dioxin: possible carcinogen (comes from the chlorine bleaching process)
- Dipentene: irritating to the skin, eyes and the respiratory and digestive tracts, respiratory and skin sensitizer
- Ethylbenzene: possible carcinogen (confirmed in animals), irritant to skin, eyes and respiratory tract
- Perfumes: allergens
- Plastics: may contain hydrocarbons, phthalates and bisphenol A which are endocrine disrupters
- Sodium polyacrylate: irritating to the eyes
- Toluene: neurotoxic, potentially toxic to development and the respiratory tract, irritating to the skin and eyes
- Xylene: irritating to the skin, eyes and respiratory tract, potentially toxic for development