Solid wood furniture
Used furniture (making sure that the paint is not chipped)
Metal blinds instead of plastic PVC
Composite woods generally correspond to chipboard, particleboard or fibreboard. These composite woods are the source of various chemicals such as formaldehyde and glue. However, one can find formaldehyde-free plywood or particle board in hardware stores or renovations centers.
New carpets have a high chemical load that take a very long time to off gas. Carpets accumulate contaminants including dust. Ecological carpets are available. Make sure that they are washable and vacuum frequently.
Materials to avoid in products you choose
- Glues: may contain solvents with toxic effects for humans (1,1,1-trichloroethane, benzene, petroleum distillates, toluene, xylene, etc.)
- Formaldehyde: carcinogen, irritant to eyes and respiratory tract, respiratory sensitizer
- Plastics: may contain hydrocarbons, phthalates and bisphenol 1 which are endocrine disruptors
- Composite wood products: formaldehyde in the glue
- Synthetic dyes: possible carcinogens, skin sensitizers, photosensitizers and mutagens