Chemicals are often used to straighten hair, and they have a more permanent effect. However, this practice is often accompanied by undesirable outcomes.
Prefer straightening with a hair dryer or straightening iron which, although less permanent, is less toxic.
Ingredients to avoid
- Formaldehyde: carcinogenic, eye and respiratory irritant, respiratory sensitizer
- Glycol: irritant to the eyes, respiratory and digestive tracts
- Sodium hydroxide: irritant and corrosive to the skin, eyes, respiratory and digestive tracts
- Parabens: endocrine disruptors
- Polypropylene : skin, eye and respiratory irritant, respiratory sensitizer
- Sodium lauryl sulfate: irritant, may cause contact dermatitis
- Ammonium thioglycolate: skin and eye irritant, skin sensitizer